Stairlift Installation – How to Prepare and What to Expect
Stairlift installation is a quick and tidy process that can be completed within a few hours. Whether you are installing a straight stairlift or a curved stairlift, the process is clean and stress-free. In this article, we will guide you on how to prepare for the installation and inform you about what to expect on the day your new stairlift arrives.
Preparing for your stairlift installation is simple and straightforward:
- Ensure that pets and children are kept away from the installation area during the visit of the installers. While our installers clean up after themselves, there may be tools, screws, and other hazards present during the installation.
- Make sure there is an accessible electric socket dedicated to the stairlift. In case you are availing a grant for your stairlift, a dedicated spur may be required.
- Keep your stairlift plugged in at all times to maintain optimal battery life.
- Clear the downstairs hall and landing to provide ample working space for the installer. Remove jackets, coats, and other obstructions from the stairs and bannisters. For straight stairlifts, ensure that the area below the bottom step on the wall side is free of furniture so the stairlift can park there. When not in use, the lift can be sent back upstairs using the remote control.
- If you are having a straight stairlift installed, it typically takes half a day, unless there are additional upgrades or it is an outdoor stairlift. In some cases, the rail for straight stairlifts may be cut before arriving at your home, or it may be cut in the garden of the installation location.
- Most curved stairlifts can be installed in less than a day. If your curved stairlift is configured to travel past the top step and park on the landing, make sure the parking area is clear of furniture or other obstructions. Similar to straight stairlifts, curved stairlifts require space for parking downstairs.
- While offering us tea or coffee is appreciated, our installers usually have already had a few cups before leaving home, so please don’t be offended if we decline your offer!
- We are always available to answer any questions you may have before starting the installation. Feel free to inquire about any aspect of your new lift.
The Installation Process
During the stairlift installation:
- The rail will be affixed to the stairs and downstairs landing using steel legs. It is rare for a staircase to be unsuitable for a stairlift installation, as most modern houses can accommodate various types of stairlifts.
- Our installers prefer to work independently to ensure the installation is carried out with precision and focus.
- After the installation, the installer will thoroughly test the stairlift and demonstrate how to use it, highlighting all the safety features and functionality.
- Stairlifts are designed to be easy and safe to use. We provide 24/7/365 telephone support throughout the lifetime of your lift, so you can always contact us via call or WhatsApp if you have any concerns.
- If you wish to try a stairlift before making a purchase, we offer a rent-to-buy service, allowing you to assess its suitability before committing to the full cost.